Everyone Has Unique Needs
Health problems come in all shapes and sizes. Some people just need to get out of pain others have lost their quality of life and wonder if there is any hope of recovering what they have lost. You need care customized to your needs.
At the Holland Chiropractic & Acupuncture Clinic, we are equipped to help you reach your health goal.
- If you need chiropractic care to help you with a creak in your neck or a twinge in your back – we’ve got you covered!
- If you need a relaxing massage or some stress relief – we can help you there!
- If you have been in an automobile accident and need care and rehab – we are there for you!
- If you have fallen and have a hard time getting up – you can count on us!
- If you have a bulging disc and lots of pain – we can help!
- If you need someone to take a critical look at why you aren’t getting better in spite of your current efforts – we can help you there too!
A few words about CHRONIC health problems. We have successfully “rehabbed” people back into functional health through unique healthcare programs. Using alternative care, laboratory testing, nutraceutical supplementation and advanced rehabilitation we have taken chronic symptomatology and sent it packing. We are not your regular chiropractic office.
How Do I Successfully Help People with Their Chronic Health Problems?
It all has to do with our approach to your problem. Our philosophy is to treat the PERSON and not the DIAGNOSIS or SYMPTOM. We believe that “labels” are for cans and not people. God made our bodies to be healthy, when they are not healthy, something is holding them back.
We take multiple approaches in evaluating and treating each patient that comes through our clinic. This is very important! Like a puzzle with many pieces – We find that chronic health issues (like resistant thyroid or stubborn weight or a neuropathy or blood sugar problems, etc.) are comprised of these “pieces”…
- Structural (having to do with the alignment of the body)
- Metabolic (having to do with body function; how the organs and glands work)
- Neurological (having to do with the brain and nerves)
- Nutritional (having to do with proper support for weakened organs; balanced nutrition)
- Energetic (having to do with the body’s energy centers and balance; sensitivities to food and environment)
- Emotional (having to do with how we feel about ourselves; limiting belief systems)
All of the pieces need to be found in order to put the health puzzle back together. Many people are frustrated and have not found the results they were seeking from other healthcare practitioners because not all of the pieces were found. When only one or two of the pieces to your health puzzle are found your results will be minimal or short-lived.
We leave no stone left unturned.
What follows are some of the highlights of our program.
Program Highlights: Specific Metabolic Testing
I. Complete Blood Panel
By using specific blood tests such as:
- A Comprehensive Executive Metabolic Panel: includes 24 important disease markers such as Glucose, A1c (blood sugar), SGOT, SGPT, GGT, Biliruben (Liver), BUN, Creatinine, Uric Acid (Kidney), Alkaline Phosphatase (Bone)
- A Cardiovascular Panel: includes Cholesterol, Triglycerides, LDL, HDL, VLDL, Cholesterol/HDL Ratio, LDL/HDL Ration, Fibrinogen, C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
- Iron/Anemia Panel: includes TIBC, UIBC, Serum Iron, Iron Saturation, Serum Ferritin
- Inflammatory Markers: HS C-Reactive Protein, Homo-cysteine
- A CBC (complete blood chemistry with auto differential): includes Red Blood Cell counts, White Blood Cell counts, and Platelet counts.
CRITICAL POINT: I am aware of the fact that you have had blood testing done before (and you may have been told that everything was normal), but your test results must be compared to FUNCTIONAL values and not the PATHOLOGICAL values of the labs. Traditional lab testing is designed to catch disease, but not the departure from health. They allow too many things to slip through!!!
We can assess your thyroid, adrenal glands, liver, kidneys, red/white blood cells and gut function with the above lab tests. All can be affected with chronic health conditions. By addressing any problems with your thyroid, adrenal glands, blood chemistry, or gut function, we can help you to heal faster. The CMP also allows us to check your blood glucose levels since glucose and oxygen are needed by the brain to function properly.
Glucose values (12 hour fasting): Pathological Values for Normal: 65-115
Functional Values for Normal: 80-99
*Notice how different the ranges are. If you were to have your blood drawn from the lab or the health fair and it were 70 – you would be told that everything was normal, however look below at the functional values – you could be dealing with true or reactive hypoglycemia and wouldn’t know it.
Hypoglycemic: 84 or less
Insulin resistance/pre-diabetes: 100-126
Diabetes: 127 or higher
Not only must the correct tests be ordered, but they must be interpreted by FUNCTIONAL values.
The FIVE (5) priorities when assessing the blood work; they are:
- Blood sugar/ASI
- Fatty acid metabolism
If these are present and not identified and worked on, they will slow progress, not matter what you do.
OUT-OF-BALANCE BLOOD SUGAR, ELEVATED INFLAMMATORY MARKERS, INFECTION PATTERNS, AUTOIMMUNE ANTIBODIES, POOR DIGESTION (just to name a few) ARE “DEAL BREAKERS” – MEANING, THAT YOUR BODY (ESPECIALLY YOUR NERVES) CANNOT WORK ON HEALING WHEN THESE THINGS ARE PRESENT.
II. Thyroid Function Evaluation
If you have a chronic health problem or suspect that you have one, you need to have your thyroid fully evaluated. Traditional thyroid testing begins and ends with testing your TSH levels and rarely, T4. Thyroid function can be affected by a variety of things and simply testing for TSH levels is, in our opinion,, ignoring the other variables. To truly understand your Thyroid, testing for TSH is not enough.
What other tests of the thyroid are important?
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH): this is the hormone “message” sent from a gland in the brain (the pituitary) to the thyroid.
- Free T3: an important hormone produced by the thyroid gland, considered to be the more biologically active hormone.
- Free T4: another important hormone produced by the thyroid gland.
- Thyroid Binding Globulin (TBG): This test measures the amount of proteins in the blood that transport thyroid hormones to the cells. Elevated testosterone can lower TBG levels and elevated estrogen can raise TBG levels. Both can produce hypothyroid symptoms.
- Thyroid Antibodies (TGB & TPO): checked in suspected cases of autoimmune thyroid disorders (see below)
- Total T4: this is a reflection of how much total T4 hormone there is in the blood.
- Total T3: this is a reflection of how much total T3 hormone there is in the blood.
- Free Thyroxine Index (FTI): this is an estimate of how much thyroxine is in the blood.
- Reverse T3 (RT3): this test measures the amount of an inactive form of thyroid hormone that can slow down you metabolic processes.
**Highlighted tests are our first line of testing.
WHEN THE THYROID IS NOT EVALUATED THOROUGHLY ENOUGH, AN INCOMPLETE PICTURE AS TO WHAT IS REALLY THE PROBLEM ARISES – THIS CAN LEAD TO POOR OR MISMANAGEMENT OF CARE. THE THYROID REGULATES METABOLISM. YOUR METABOLISM REGULATES THE RATE AT WHICH THE BODY CAN REBUILD/HEAL.
We need to test for inflammation in your system by testing homo cysteine levels and C-Reactive Protein (C-RP). Many patients suffering from chronic health conditions suffer from inflammatory processes. Just about every chronic patient that I have treated suffers from some form of chronic inflammatory process.
AS MENTIONED ABOVE, INFLAMMATION IS TOXIC TO BRAIN CELLS. YOU CANNOT HEAL NERVES WHILE YOUR BODY IS FIGHTING A FIRE (an inflammation) ELSEWHERE IN THE BODY. APPROPRIATE TESTING AND ASSESSMENT IS CRUCIAL.
V. Adrenal or now commonly known as HPA Axis Dysregulation testing
You can test the adrenal glands with a test called an Adrenal Stress Index. This is a salivary test much like DNA testing. The adrenal glands sit right above the kidneys and they are your “stress” organs meaning that they react to stress. If you have been or are currently under stress, this test is a must!
IF YOU SUFFER FROM INSOMNIA AND/OR DIABETES, THIS TEST IS A MUST! IT WILL MEASURE YOUR CORTISOL LEVELS. ADRENAL GLAND PROBLEMS WILL MESS UP SLEEP CYCLES. YOU SO MOST OF YOUR HEALING WHILE YOU SLEEP. YOU CANNOT FIX THIS PROBLEM BY FOCUSING ONLY ON THE ADRENALS. THIS IS NOT FIXED BY TAKING A “GLANDULAR” ADRENAL SUPPLEMENT.
VI. Intestinal Permeability/”Leaky Gut” Problems:
LGS or Leaky gut syndrome describes a condition of altered or damaged bowel lining, caused by antibiotics, toxins, poor diet, parasites or infection can lead to increased permeability of the gut wall to toxins, microbes, undigested food, waste or larger than normal macro-molecules. It has been proposed that these substances affect the body directly, while others postulate an immune reaction to these substances.
MANY IMMUNE PROBLEMS START WITH A GUT PROBLEM. THIS PROBLEM CANNOT BE FIXED BY STEROID INJECTIONS OR EVEN A VITAMIN OR PILL.
VII. Sensitivity Testing
To determine if you have a sensitivity to gluten (wheat, rye, oats, and barley) and gluten-associated sensitivity and cross reactivity. If you are sensitive to ANY of these food groups, it could be making your chronic condition worse as it will increase inflammation in your brain and throughout your body!
If you know you have HASHIMOTO’S or an AUTOIMMUNE THYROID, you need to be off all gluten, NOW! As well as the molecular mimics, NOW!
Here are some of the symptoms of these sensitivities:
- Chronic pain or fatigue
- Frequent indigestion
- Bloating after eating
- Frequent loose bowel movements
- Mouth ulcers or sores
The only way to find out of you are suffering from any of these sensitivities is the run the test.
SENSITIVITIES TO KEY PROTEINS WILL LEAD TO DIGESTIVE DISTRESS, ANTIBODY PRODUCTION, POOR ASSIMILATION OF NUTRITION, WATER RETENTION, AND FAT CONVERSION. THIS IS NOT SIMPLY FIXED BY TAKING VITAMINS, DOING DETOXES, CHELATION THERAPIES, ETC.
Program Highlights: Specific Neurological Testing and Treatments
I. Proper Evaluation:
Ask yourself this question: What part of the body runs everything else? Answer: The brain and nervous system. If you have been trying to fix a health problem (including weight loss/gain) with no success – you must look towards the brain.
KEY POINT: Remember that your glands (e.g. thyroid) and even the hormones are run by the brain.
THE BRAIN RUNS THE SHOW, YET EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO BE TREATING THE SYMPTOMS OR THE MANIFESTATIONS OF NEURO-DEGENERATION INSTEAD OF EVALUATING THE BRAIN. THIS IS WHAT I DO!
II. Low Level Laser (Cold Laser) Therapy
Low Level Laser Therapy or LLLT or Cold Laser Therapy allows us to do things that could never be done before with the body. Laser Therapy accomplishes two major effects in the body. It works on the cells to improve their healing and energy and it also improves their communication. This allows the doctor to enhance the body’s ability to communicate with its parts and self regulate. The end result is that you will heal faster and achieve higher levels of health and function.
III. Chiropractic Specific Therapy
Specific chiropractic work can greatly improve the effects of treatment by reducing pain, improving flexibility and joint movement and promoting relaxation in the joints, muscles and body.
IV. Brain Based Therapy
We use specific therapies to stimulate and exercise deficient areas of the brain. These therapies can include vibration therapy, visual stimulation, balance stimulation, fast-stretch muscle stretching, auditory stimulation, etc.
THE BRAIN IS LIKE A MUSCLE IN THAT IF YOU DON’T USE IT – YOU WILL LOSE IT. IF CERTAIN AREAS OF THE BRAIN ARE NOT STIMULATED APPROPRIATELY, YOU WILL LOSE THE FUNCTION THAT THOSE AREAS OF THE BRAIN CONTROL. DOING SUDOKU OR CROSSWORDS PUZZLES IS NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH TO REHAB MOST OF THE BRAIN.
Once we have run the necessary tests to determine your specific condition, we can successfully treat you via proper neurological and all natural nutritional protocols.
Ask Yourself the Following Questions:
- How have your current health status affected your relationships, finances, family, or other activities?
- What has it cost you in time, money, happiness, sleep?
- Where do you picture yourself in the next one to three years if this problem is not taken care of soon?
- What is it worth to you if we could improve your condition?